Sunday 2 October 2016

Ghostbusters (2016)

A group of paranormal investigators in New York finally get proof of the existence of ghosts, and develop technology to fight and capture them... just as ghost activity is reaching massive proportions. They set up in business as ghost-removers for hire, but soon find themselves facing a threat to the entire city.


It's almost impossible for someone of my age to give Ghostbusters (2016) a fair review; the 1984 original is a bonafide classic, and I've been a HUGE fan since I saw it in the cinema, and as a kid I watched it so much I wore out 2 VHS copies (and made good headway into a third).

Because of this, every time I try and write a paragraph about this new version, I find myself typing "this time around..." or "in this version...", and comparing any film to one I love as much as Ghostbusters (1984) simply isn't fair; it's never going to do well.

And here's the thing; while watching the movie (rather than reviewing it) I didn't find myself comparing it. I used to watch the cartoon series  religiously, without comparing it to the movie; and that took massive liberties with the exact same characters; that was great, and if it hadn't been great it wouldn't have ruined the movie... the movie would still be sat right there on a battered and worn VHS tape waiting for me.

To deal as briefly as possible with the comparison, no, this movie is not a patch on the original. It was never going to be. The original was lightning in a bottle, and even the original cast and crew couldn't recaptured it (see Ghostbusters 2).

Think of the last 10 movies you enjoyed (not the last 10 you saw; The last 10 that honestly entertained you). How many of them do you think will be celebrated 3 decades later? How many of them can you even remember now?

Not every movie has to be a future classic... even if it has a familiar name.

So, accepting that this new take on the concept isn't going to rape your childhood or erase the original from existence, is it any good?

I'm pleased to say that it is!

As you might expect, given everything I've said about forcing comparisons, it's at its weakest when it goes out of it's way to remind you of the original, through cameos or location nods; But when it's doing its own thing, and being it's own movie, it's a good time.

The gadgets are for the most part excellent, the script and story are fun, the cast are on point, and it looks fantatic, at times being a cartoon made life (to risk comparison, this would have made an excellent movie spin-off of the animated show).

Leave your expectations at the door and you are in for a fun ride.

Oh, and if any of your objections are to do with the gender of the cast, I can't even be bothered to explain what's wrong with you; go fuck yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment