Saturday 8 October 2011

Pin

Unlike my 'reviews' over at VideoNastyAWeek.co.uk, which are mostly meant more as 'discussions' with those who have seen the films, or are at least familiar with them, I try to keep my Shocktoberfest Reviews pretty spoiler-lite, so that they can serve as recommendations (where warranted) to people who have not seen the films.


With this in mind, I'm really not sure what I should tell you about Pin, to avoid spoiling anything. I had a look at the trailer, hoping I could take my lead from the filmmakers on what was, or was not, safe to give away, but they seem to have used footage and names from Pin in order to trail a completely different type of film...

So, to get around my problem, I'm just going to tell you that Pin (the movie, not the character) is a kind of cinematic descendent of Psycho, with more than a hint of Magic (the 1978 film staring Anthony Hopkins, not the mystical force).

Anthony O'Quinn (Lost's John Lock) stars as a Doctor (and phenomenally good amateur ventriloquist)  with a pair of stepford children, a neat-freak wife, and a life-size anatomically correct, clear-skinned medical dummy, which he uses to 'talk' to his child patents, and most especially his own children.

The problems start when he never bothers to admit to his kids that Pin cannot really talk, and long after the age where they really should both have figured it out, his son still believes that Pin is alive, but has just promised to not talk when Daddy isn't around.

And that's as much as I'm going to say plot-wise as I really enjoyed this, and think it benefits from going in cold. It's slow paced, but in the good, creepy way, and isn't remotely gory, so it should be safe for everyone.

Oh, but feel free to ignore the bit where the nurse decides to re-enact Frank's sex scene from Hellraiser by having sex with Pin when no-one is looking; it could be cut completely and the film would lose nothing.


2 comments:

  1. Im sure I read this book years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite possible, it is based on a book (thanks, meant to tag it that way and forgot)- by the same guy as "Devils Advocate"

    ReplyDelete