Wednesday 31 October 2012

Dead Snow

A group of friends head off to a cabin in the Swiss alps to spend the weekend skiing. When they discover a box of stolen war era gold, they unwittingly awaken a Nazi Zombie army.

For my final Shocktoberfest post of the year, I turned to facebook and asked my freinds what I should watch - "Dead Snow" was one of the first films mentioned, and it got mentioned again and again untill it pretty much HAD to be my choice!

Again (I think I've said this a few times this month) the movie was funny, without being a comedy... Think "Evil Dead" in the snow (EDI that is, EDII was straight up comedy), that said, I was impressed how straight the movie was played - I'd expected "the nazi zombie movie" (which is all I knew about it) to play cliches and have its tongue firmly in its cheek, to be a pastiche of so many 70's and 80's exploitation films. Not so; while the story may well be a little on the 'been there, done that' side, it serves an an earnest example of the "Teens in a cabin picked off by evil" movie, rather than a send up.

Speaking of which; thanks to Cabin in the Woods I couldn't help imagining what else was going on in this movie that we weren't seeing ;-)

It's mentioned that a few of the group had been in the army, left, and had time to forget what they knew... but they really didn't seem old enough for that although that did justify the survival / weapons expert, and he was one of the best things in the movie, so I'll let it go.

Towards the end, a weaponized something is created - I'll not give it away, but it really left me hopeful for a BrainDead style finale... sadly that was not to be.

It took a while for the action to get going properly, but when it did, the gore was plentiful, well done, and fun; what more could you want from a Nazi Zombie movie?!?


No comments:

Post a Comment