Tuesday 9 October 2012

Tourist Trap

When some friends on vacation break down off the beaten, they walk to a gas station with a (now defunct) wax museum.
The museums owner quickly befriends them and agrees to help get their car running.
As if the museum's many mannequins (built by the owners brother before he moved to the city to work for a real waxworks) weren't creepy enough, it isn't long before they are one by one terrorised by a telekinetic masked madman.


This has been on my 'to watch' list for ages, for two reasons, chief among them; mannequins!

I don't have any phobias (that I've discovered) but dolls and (more especially) mannequins are the closest thing I do have - I don't run in terror, or even give them an especially wide birth, but mannequins give me the wiggins - for me uncanny valley is a wide place!

The worst ones are those faceless things in Marks & Spencer's, but I digress, oh or those freaky kid ones with the massive mouths...


For the sake of fuck!!!!
Tell me these fuckers wouldn't
kill you in the night
JUST TO SEAL YOUR FACE!

and this SOUL EATING MONSTER!
on a British high street...
where decent folk might see it?!?



But I digress...



The other reason is the films villan, who looks like a knock off of the 'screaming tranny' version of Leatherface from TCM4.

So, was it worth the wait?

After an impressive first half, with some fear inducing chaotic scenes, I'm sad to say it went rapidly downhill; once it became apparent where the plot was going, it seemed to take forever to get there, and then do very little when it arrived.

The last reel does a little to make up for this with a nice mannequin set-peice, and a fun final shot... But there's also a plot element in there that I'm afraid used up what good will was left.

Not hideously bad, but a long, long way from good, despite a strong start.



3 comments:

  1. I remember somewhere in the recesses of my brain, that I've seen this one years ago. Thought it was ok at the time.

    Mannequins? Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Mannaqins.

      I'm not talking full on screaming heebie jeebies, just a bit of a wiggins, but given a choice between mannaqins and no mannaqins, I'll take the empty room, thank you very glad!

      Not a phobia by a long shot, but the closest I've found. If I do have any propper phobias, they're of things I'm yet to encounter.

      Delete
  2. I've turned 'uncanny valley' into a link for anyone unfamiliar with the term.

    ReplyDelete